Senior Environment and Social Development Specialist / E&S Team Leader | Jobs | Asia
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank (MDB) whose mission is to finance the infrastructure of tomorrow – infrastructure focused on sustainability. The Bank began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and has since had 105 licensed members worldwide.
The Bank is capitalized up to USD 100 billion and rated Triple-A by major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, the Bank responds to client needs by unlocking new capital and investing in green, technology-enabled infrastructure that promotes regional connectivity.
The AIIB is committed to supporting sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors to promote economic growth and improve people’s lives and views the management of environmental and social (ES) risks and impacts as central to success. of a project.
The Bank’s Environmental and Social (ESP) Policy sets out mandatory ES requirements applicable to all Bank-financed projects, and the three associated Environmental and Social Standards set out detailed mandatory requirements to be implemented by the client, depending on the nature of the project. .
The Vice Presidency for Strategy, Policy and Budget (SPB) is responsible for policy development, political assurance and advisory support to project teams during project preparation and implementation, and the Vice Presidencies for Investment Operations (IO) supported by its Operational Services Department (OSD) and a team of ES specialists, is responsible for the preparation and implementation of Projects in accordance with ESP requirements.
The Senior Environmental and Social Development Specialist/Environmental and Social Team Leader (E&S Team Leader), will be primarily responsible for managing an interdisciplinary team of Environmental and Social Development Specialists who will support the delivery of the project. AIIB’s commitment to sustainable development in accordance with its Environmental and Social Framework (ESC).
One of the key functions of the E&S Team Leader would be to oversee the effective implementation of the AIIB’s environmental and social responsibilities during project preparation and implementation to ensure compliance with the ESP of the project. EBIT, which includes Environmental and Social Standards (ESS) and Environmental and Social Exclusion List. . Another important function would be to lead the required coordination with relevant units on projects and undertake institutional reporting. The E&S Team Leader reports directly to the General Manager, OSD.
The E&S Team Leader would be responsible for providing strategic leadership to the ES team and overseeing tasks related to the application of the PSE, building on the PSE Directive and administrative guidelines, to investment projects. . More specifically, this responsibility includes:
- Manage a team of environmental and social development specialists, including, as authorized by DG OSD, assigning appropriate specialists and engaging consultants to support project teams in the preparation and implementation of investment projects.
- Manage relationships on environmental and social management issues with the AIIB’s investment operations departments; Department of Strategy, Policies and Budget; the Compliance, Efficiency and Integrity unit; and other departments as required.
- Manage the development and conduct of training on ESP and the associated ESP directive and administrative guidelines for AIIB staff and clients.
- Serve as the AIIB focal point for coordination activities with other MDBs and bilateral development organizations.
- Serve as the AIIB’s main focal point for relations with external stakeholders, including civil society organizations and non-governmental organizations, regarding environmental and social issues in the AIIB’s investment operations.
- Coordinate and support, as authorized by the DG, OSD, work on operational policies, directives and administrative guidance related to environmental and social issues to ensure consistency and consistency.
- Support the formulation and implementation of the environmental and social aspects of the AIIB’s sector strategies, policies, programs and projects.
- Advise project teams and clients on the detection of risks and impacts related to climate change and support clients in managing these risks and impacts during the preparation and implementation of projects.
- Guide clients and project teams on monitoring the implementation of ES aspects of a project and resolve any issues that arise during project implementation, including any changes in project design or scope .
- From time to time, support the DG, OSD in institutional management and reporting on other fiduciary and control aspects under the responsibility of the Vice Presidencies for Investment Operations.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in environmental or natural or social sciences, engineering, planning, law, finance, business or related discipline.
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant international experience in environmental and social planning and risk management, either working for or as a government counterpart or consultant to a multilateral/regional development bank, bilateral development organizations or a private sector organization engaged in the development and implementation of infrastructure projects and their financing. Applicants over the age of 15 are preferred.
- Successful experience in planning and managing the environmental and social aspects of infrastructure programs and projects (including project design and feasibility studies, strategic and project-level environmental and social assessments and types of related studies for resettlement and indigenous peoples, environmental and social management plans and frameworks, consultation and disclosure processes and grievance mechanisms) which may include, but are not limited to, the energy sectors , transport, water, information and communication technologies (ICT) and urban development.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with proven experience as a manager and/or leader of interdisciplinary teams and experience working with public and private sector clients, development partners and external stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations, civil society, etc.
- Strong critical thinking and familiarity with business processes and international best practices in infrastructure investment operations.
- A high level of personal integrity and a sense of responsibility.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently and extensively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of the language(s) of a country in which the AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to manage and work in multidisciplinary teams.
The AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe that our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a competitive merit-based process. We actively encourage applications from AIIB members and non-members alike, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and position title at which successful candidates will enter the AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while developing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.