Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu says over R500m looted from SASSA in past 10 years

  • The Social Security Agency (SASSA) has been a haven for corrupt officials who have managed to loot over half a billion over the past 10 years
  • In response to the DA’s question, Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu confirmed that over R536 million had been stolen from the agency.
  • South Africans believe this number is underrepresented and believe more funds have been stolen

PAY ATTENTION: Check the news which is chosen exactly for you ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!

JOHANNESBURG – Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu says more than half a billion dollars has been looted from the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) over the past decade.

The Democratic Alliance said it would continue to denounce the SASSA theft after Minister Lindiwe Zulu confirmed that more than 500 million rand had been looted over the past 10 years. Images: GCIS/Flickr
Source: UGC

Zulu said this in response to a question posed by Democratic Alliance (DA) MP Bridget Masango. Zulu disclosed that over the past 10 years over R536 million has been stolen by SASSA officials and even doctors.

Read also

A 23-year-old man shot dead while waiting to enter the mall in Sandton, South Africa, is concerned

In a statement released on AD website, Masango says a total of 1,174 people illegally benefited from SASSA; 761 were SASSA officials, including five doctors.

Masango added that 50 SASSA officials looted R23 million of funds intended for the poorest citizens; however, only 37 cases were reported to law enforcement for further investigation.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss the latest news – rejoin Briefly News’ Telegram channel!

The DA pledged to continue to expose SASSA corruption and report it to relevant government agencies.

Earlier this year, the Courier and Custodian reported that SASSA is at the top of corruption complaints in government organizations.

South Africans weigh

Many South Africans have shared their thoughts on the looting taking place in SASSA. Some believe the numbers are grossly underrepresented and more money has been stolen.

Read also

Mosotho Moepya appointed IEC President by Cyril Ramaphosa, SA reacts

Here are some comments:

@Caro1Graham said:

“How do they know? How can they tell how much it is? Do they count it as stolen? Do they estimate it as a percentage? Liars and thieves. What a dire situation we find ourselves in.”

@SebinTdr said:

“All government departments bleed billions of dollars every year, and they get an increased budget without appeal to accountability and increased financial controls.”

@Owen_Zuma said:

“I don’t think so, so little it should be more than that number.”

@raatkirani213 said:

“What is being done to get it back?”

@veeyenk said:

“How can they not steal when the bosses are the ones at the forefront of theft?”

@GenduToit said:

“And where is the responsibility? What has been done about it? #voetsekanc #anciscorrupt”

@visedge said:

“…but no plan to prosecute, no plan to get the money back, no plan to close all the loopholes? No need ANC, no need”

Read also

Hawks arrest woman for embezzling R3.6m from Limpopo school

Agency unhappy with SASSA grant recipients moves system online which will halt applications for 2 weeks

In other news, In brief News reported that the South African Social Security Administration (SASSA) is moving its online services to a new system to provide better services to grant recipients.

The agency said Wednesday that online grant application services will be suspended for about two weeks.

Sassa did not say whether the migration process would delay payments to people whose applications have been processed, reported BusinessLIVE.

PAY ATTENTION: Check the news which is chosen exactly for you ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!

Source: News in Brief

Joel C. Hicks